Sports Funding 2016-2017
Grassington CE (VC) Primary School has always given a high priority to PE.
Our Key Stage 2 (KS2) children have weekly two hour PE sessions including swimming lessons at Upper Wharfedale Secondary School, where their lessons are taught by a PE specialist teacher and by a fully qualified swimming instructor. We also ensure and encourage participation in competition and cluster sporting events. The Teaching Assistants who accompany KS2 pupils also support sports taught on site and therefore use the approaches used by the specialist staff.
Our Key Stage 1 (KS1) children are also taught by a highly experienced teacher who teaches sport around many of our local cluster schools. He comes in to deliver high quality PE lessons one afternoon a week and runs a sports club for pupils after school. He also delivers training and disseminates the training he himself has received to other staff.
We currently receive £8337 (2016/17) sports funding and have allocated the funds in the following ways:
- To fund three sports specialists to develop the skills of children and staff.
- To fund rugby coaching sessions for KS2 and to participate in a rugby tournament.
- To utilise the pool, games and other sports facilities at Upper Wharfedale Secondary School.
- To purchase additional sports equipment to support teaching and learning.
- To pay for additional and staffing costs enabling the children to participate in cluster, area and County sporting events.
The current impact of these actions:
- 55% of pupils responsded that they do at least five hours of physicak activity in a typical week. (Growing Up in North Yorkshire Survey 2016)
- Wider opportunities to participate in different sporting activities.
- 89% of pupils responded that they enjoy physical activities. (Growing Up in North Yorkshire Survey 2016)
- Weekly swimming lessons for the whole school.
- All children from Foundation Stage to Y6 participate in inter school competitions.
- Gifted and talented children are identified and directed towards further competitive opportunities.
- All our children from Y3 onwards can competently swim 25m by the end of Key Stage 2 and can use a range of strokes effectively.
- A list of local contacts for clubs is produced and made available to parents.
- The school has achieved the Sainsbury’s School Games Gold Award.
Our success criteria:
We will know if our sports funding has been used successfully if the following criteria are met:
- Observations of PE lessons are good and outstanding.
- 100% of pupils have a positive experience in their PE lessons and have improved skills in all aspects of PE.
- Increased participation in sporting activities after school.
- All children will make expected progress with 40% exceeding at the end of KS1 and 50% exceeding at the end of KS2.